The Lash Line
You’ve Got Lash Extension Questions - We’ve Got Professional Lash Artist Answers
How long does getting lash extensions take?
A full set can take up tp 2 hours to apply and 2 week fills are 1 hour sessions. Please be aware that you do have to lay with your eyes closed for the duration of the application. Some experience anxiety during sessions, if this may happen to you, here are some tips to a chill session:
1. Refrain from caffeine before your appointment
2. Schedule your appointment on a day with downtime, ie a day you don't exercise etc.
3. Please know that I am working hard to and as fast as possible but the session time gives me the time to ensure a safe, sanitary and beautiful application.
4. Bring earbuds or headphones to listen to music.
5. Consider taking a lash nap and wake up to beautiful lashes.
Will eyelash extensions damage natural lashes?
No, they DO NOT if they are applied properly and cared for properly.
1. Research the lash tech - ask questions, like are they a LICENSED esthetician or cosmetologist? Many people are providing this service without ever stepping into a classroom or training room.
2. If your lash extensionsare painful, hurt or uncomfortable for any reason DO NOT pick/pull/cut off the extensions, ever. Please contact a lash professional for urgent removal (I always make room in my days for appointments like this).
3. KEEP THEM CLEAN! The cleaner the lashes, the better they look, feel, last longer. Also, clean them after your excercise or swim. After a steamy shower, brush through until dry.
4. Are they the right set for your natural lashes? Most of us want the longest, fullest lashes possible but that doesn’t mean the natural lashes can support that type of set long term. Too long, heavy lashes + weak natural lashes = damage. Ask for a consultation at your lash appointment (one is included in my sets).
Do eyelash extensions hurt?
They shouldn't ever hurt. They make take a few days to get used to but they should never be painful during application having them applied or afterwards. If you ever experience, burning, poking, hard feeling lashes days after application, these are all signs of misapplication and should be removed immediately. Lashes should be comfortable and pretty. I take pride in providing lash sets that are applied with the upmost safety standards, luxury lash products and precision.
How long do eyelash extensions last?
The expectation is that they are put on and are to never fall off but the reality is that on average we lose about 1-5 eyelashes fall out each day without ever noticing. We all have about 90-120 natural eyelashes per lash.
Week 1 - 20 eyelashes are lost
Week 2 - 40 eyelashes are lost
Week 3 - 60 eyelashes lost
We all have almost a brand new set of natural eyelashes every 3/4 weeks. Which is why we lose lash extensions and need fills envy 2-3 weeks to maintain the fullness and aesthetic look of lash extensions.
Product usage, hormones, medications after care and lifestyle all impact the longevity of the lash extension set.
Can I wet my eyelash extensions?
Please keep them dry from water, sweat and other liquids. The lash glue needs 24 hours to cure so that it will adhere properly and be waterproof the duration of the set have lasting results. Pease avoid vigorous, cleansing and never pull or rub on lashes.
Never use oil cleansers, oil based lotions or moisturizers, serums, coconut oil, aloe vera, or any other oils on or near lash extensions.
Do not perm or tint lashes after lash extension application.
Do not use a regular eyelash curler to curl Extensions (you won't need to curl your extensions).
Do not rub your eyes or lashes when washing your face. Clean around the eyes with a wash cloth.
Do not pull your lash extensions, as it will take out your own natural lash as well!
Do not go in a Sauna while wearing Eyelash Extensions for at least for 48hrs. Again, do not get them wet at all for 24hrs.
I have allergies, can I get lash extensions?
Seasonal or product allergies may be a reason to reconsider having lashes applied. Although a lot of care and research is taken into lash products used, I am not able to guarantee that you will not have an allergic reaction; if one should occur, I would be happy to remove the lash extensions but this will not include a refund of the lash set price,
I wear glasses and/or contact lenses or goggles for work, can I get lash extensions?
Yes! If you're an everyday eye glass or contact lens wearer, you can get extensions but please consider the following:
1. Extensions may interfere with vision if worn with glasses, shorter lengths of extensions will be used to prevent this.
2. Eyelash extensions that continuously rub against glasses or goggles could affect the retention or look of the extensions, more frequent fills may be required to maintain the look and fullness of lashes,
3. Contact lens wearers may experience dry eyes with lash extensions, eye drops may be used but must avoid eyelash extensions when applying to eyes and may affect lash retention, Never use a gel eye drops with eyelash extensions. Also, for safety purposes, please do not wear contact lenses during lash applications.
HOW DO I CLEAN THE LASH EXTENSIONS?
Eyelash Extensions should be cleaned separately from your normal face washing routine.
They should be rinsed with water and cleansed daily with an oil free rinse such as Garnier Micellar Water. Always rinse through, dry and brush out after exercising or anytime there is a lot of sweat is involved.
Deep Cleaning your eyelash extensions should be done 2-3 times per week- think sponge bath but for your lashes #LASHBATH
Remove all eye-makeup and foundation/concealer using an oil and glycol/glycerin free makeup remover (IE Garnier Micellar Water). If taking off eyeliner, use a Q-Tip dipped in remover and wipe it across your lid, or away from the lid. Never towards the extensions. Don’t use cotton balls or pads as they will catch on the bases of the extensions.
Cleanse - begin by wetting your eyes with cool water. Apply a small amount of a lash shampoo, (can be purchased on Amazon), Baby Shampoo, Thera-tears or any other OIL FREE foaming face cleanser to the tips of your fingers and carefully apply the cleanser to lashes including the base and wiggle your fingers through the lashes, do not rub, or pull on lashes and gently splash water to rinse,
Rinse - with water rinse off cleanser by gently splashing water on lashes, repeat until all cleanser is removed,
Dry - using a blow dryer on cool setting dry lashes for up to 1 minute. Please remember that heat should always be avoided when lash extensions are applied , please never dry using the heat setting of the blow dryer. I also sell lash fans because I believe that drying them makes a difference in retention. Also do not dry with towel as they are too rough on lashes and they also hold bacteria which should always be avoided.
Brush - using your lash spoolie and gently brush through and twirl up and out which will help them fan back out.
*IMPORTANT* Please wait at least 24 hours after your lashes were applied before the first lash bath.
How often do I have to come for lash fills?
Lash extensions are a luxury beauty service and as such are an investment.
When you get your get your lash extensions done you'll need to continue a 1 hour lash fill appointment every few weeks - even if you have great retention and seems like you have plenty of lashes left. In addition to refilling what was lost within those 2 or 3 weeks your lash artist is still responsible for removing any lashes that are outgrown, soiled (with makeup, oil, dirt), twisted, unruly, lifted lashes, this will leave a lot less than what you even walked in with. If you wait until 3 weeks most of the lashes are outgrown because of our lash cycle and once all of those lashes are removed, you'll basically almost need a new set 💖✨
Also, 3 week old lashes rarely look nice and even if it looks like you have some plenty left, I can't leave most of those on due to the reasons listed above. If I am your lash artist, I will ask that you come every 10-14 days, not because I want to do less work but because it's healthier for your natural lashes and keeps your set looking more beautiful.
Also, remember keeping clean lashes, avoid touching them with your fingers and waiting the initial 24 hours after every lash fill to get them wet will help with the health and beauty of the lashes as well.